Sunday, August 1, 2010

Something a Little Different

So, I decided to start this week off with something a little different. As anyone who cooks or bakes will know, you tend to dirty a lot of pots, pans, and dishes. That goes extra for baking because of all the measuring you have to do. Before you know it, you will be facing a pile of dishes a mile high. Not to mention a dirty kitchen.

It is very important that you keep your kitchen work area clear, clean, and disinfected. This is especially important if you are making stuff for other people. I'm about to give you a few tips to help you keep your work area clean and under control.

The number one tip - Don't let it get dirty in the first place. I know boys and girls what you are saying. Duh. But hear me out. If you take 30 extra seconds to wipe something down right when it gets dirty, rather then waiting and doing it later (or not at all!) your stuff will stay clean and you won't have to spend hours trying (and failing) to clean something later.

Example, a cookie sheet. I tend to place aluminum foil on my cookie sheet and then spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray. The spray tends to land everywhere, including the sides of the cookie sheet. Over time, the grease tends to bake and pile on. Now I have cookie sheets coated with baked on grease and no matter what, I can't get the cookie sheet clean. I spent a good 3 hours trying different things to no avail. If I had taken 30 seconds to properly wash off the cookie sheet after each use, I would have a clean, like new, cookie sheet instead of one I'm tempted to just throw out.

Number two tip - Put you ingredients away as you use them and put used pots, pans, and dishes in the sink to soak as you finish with them. If you are like me, kitchen space is at a premium. You will have more space to work with if you put stuff away after you are done with it.

Number three tip - Wash your dishes while your food is baking. The great thing about baking is that you can put it in the oven and go off to do something else. I tend to turn my food half way through baking and that is just about enough time to wash the dishes, load them into the dishwasher, and wipe down the counters. Then it's time to turn the cake, reset the timer for the food to finish, and I can go off to do something else - With a clean kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment