Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Devil with Angel Food Cake

Category: Cakes > Foam Cakes > Angel Food Cake

I don't really like Angel Food cake. I didn't have it much growing up and prefer richer desserts. The only Angel Food cake I ever had is from the grocery store bakery section so you know it's not the best. My mom and brother tried to bake one once. It didn't come out too well, the top burned somehow and that was the end of Angel Food cake.

However, in my pursuit of learning the culinary arts, I decided it was time to tackle this cake. Two nights ago was my first attempt. When I took it out of the oven it looked okay but after it cooled and I flipped it out I learned it wasn't. It was flat, eggy and just not right. After some research, I figured I put too many egg whites in the cake. What I learned was, when trying a new dish, look at multiple recipes before settling on one.



The next night I was determined to conquer this cake. Luckily for me, my second attempt turned out well. It tasted good but I'm still not a personal fan of Angel Food cake. It is definitely one of those cakes that takes a while to master. Remember kiddies, practice makes perfect. If at first you don't succeed, try again and you will be rewarded with something yummy.





Recipe:


  • 1 cup Cake Flour
  • 3/4 cup Sugar
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1-1/2 cup Egg Whites (9 to 13 whites)
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1-1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 tsp. Almond Extract


Let egg whites get to room temperature. Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Sift together the cake flour and 3/4 cup sugar five times. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl add the egg whites and salt. Beat on high until foamy (about 30 seconds). Add the cream of tartar. Continue beating on high until you get medium peaks. Do not over beat until dry.

Quickly sprinkle in the 1 cup sugar while beating. Scape bowl sides gently towards beaters with rubber spatula. Turn to low and add the vanilla and almond extract.

Quickly sprinkle the sifted flour mixture in evenly. Beat only enough to blend, scraping bowl gently towards beater with a folding motion.

Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10" tube pan. Cut through batter with spatula going around in widening circles six times without lifting spatula to make sure you don't have any air bubbles. Bake about 30 minutes. Turn pan upside down to cool for at least 1 hour. Loosen sides with spatula and remove.

Baking Tips:

  • Use your whip attachment for the mixer.
  • If you don't have a whip attachment - Instead of using the mixer to fold in your flour mixture, fold in by hand adding 1/4 cup at a time.
  • Your goal is to have your final batter light and fluffy.
  • Don't bang the uncooked batter. Be gentle until the cake has had some time to bake and set in the oven. Otherwise your cake could flatten.
  • You can substitute different flavoring for the vanilla and almond extracts. For example, you can use 1 tsp. orange extract instead.
  • Making sure your tube pan and all tools are grease free.

No comments:

Post a Comment