Thursday, July 8, 2010

Panko

Category: Breads > Yeast > Panko

Years ago there was this Japanese restaurant that my best friend and I would go to on occasion. We would always get tempura chicken. The chicken was coated in a tasty and crispy batter the likes of which I had never seen before. One day, my friend and I learned they had removed the tempura chicken from their menu. I tried for a really long time to imitate that batter before I learned that it had been coated in Panko.

Panko are Japanese bread crumbs. It is made from crust-less white bread that is high in gluten. The end result is a very airy and crispy coating for your fried foods. You can use Panko on fish, meats, and vegetables. Below is a picture of Panko battered chicken, broccoli, squash, and sweet potatoes.



You can usually buy Panko at an Asian market or even your local grocery store. However, if you want to try your hand at making Panko yourself I have included some instructions. I haven't tried this out myself yet so if you do, please let me know how it turns out.

The secret to Panko is in the Japanese bread used to make it. Japanese bread is higher in gluten than bread here in America. So you need to start by baking a white bread and making sure you add extra gluten.

Recipe:


  • High Gluten White Bread Slices


Preheat oven at 200 degrees. Cut the crust off bread. Place slices on a cookie sheet and slowly toast until dried but not brown. Grate bread into coarse crumbs that look like small pieces of glass shards. Spray on honey water with a spritz bottle and dry the crumbs again.

No comments:

Post a Comment