Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Watermelon Cake

Category: Cakes > Decorated

A while back, my father saw this cake in a magazine and just had to have it.



I used a red velvet cake so that it would be red when you cut into it. I did a pink crumb coat to add to the redness. I then did a coat of white icing. After that I covered the sides with green and the middles with red. If I made the cake again, I would skip doing a full layer of white because it just added too much icing to the cake. The seeds are with chocolate covered raisins.





This cake was my final cake for the 1st Wilton's cake decorating class. It was a spice cake filled with apple pie filling. I prepped all the icing a day or two before class and unfortunately, the black/chocolate icing started to clump a little. So, I wasn't quite as happy with the decorations on this cake as I was hoping for. Seems my cakes always turn out better when I decorate them at home, in my own environment.



This was one of my earlier cakes and the first I tried writing on. As you can see, I needed to use a bigger tip for the writing. I used a 1 when I think a 3 would have been better. For the life of me, I can't remember what type of cake it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment