Saturday, September 4, 2010

Blueberry Pie

Category: Pies > Sweet > Blueberry Pie

Baking this pie, there was nothing special. It was some store brought pie crust dough and canned blueberries. I was a little worried about how the blueberries would taste, but they turned out quite good. The only problem was, the pie didn't set. When I cut into it, blueberries went everywhere. Anyone have any tips on how to get a blueberry pie to set so you can cut it nice? Maybe partially freezing it before cutting it?

I really like the pie crust lattice cutter designs. So I purchases a double sided one that has leaves on one side and apples on the other. I was really disappointed in how it worked. Of course, I think I'll get better with time. You can't see through the cutter so it is hard to tell if you have cut all the way through the dough or not. Turns out I didn't. And, since you can't see through the cutter, there was no way for me to press it down to cut again.

I ended up cutting the cut outs with a toothpick. Then, the dough was really flimsy went I put it on the pie and hard to center. So, it turned out distorted as you can see in the picture.



I wanted to cut the pie up and put them in individual boxes for my father to take to work. But that would have been impossible with the way the pie cut. I would have given him the pie to take in in the pan, but I cut out a piece to try (I always test new things to make sure they taste okay). I didn't want to send a pie with a piece missing. So, the pie stayed home.

My mini-tart pans came the other day in the mail. I am thinking about making mini blueberry tarts for him to take in instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment